Saturday, July 19, 2014

Students' Buddies

Hi Parents and Friends,

I know Ross and Erin have communicated some of our internet difficulties. We've had overcast skies, which affects the solar panels that run the router, and then the router stopped working. The great news is that the inability to blog has been the only issue we've faced: this has been an amazing program, and everyone is perfectly healthy and as happy and excited as on Day 1! I'm grateful Ross was able to post some photos we texted him last night. Today students are at homestays, so I'm taking advantage of a local hotel's wi-fi.


Berkeley Carroll students wanted to introduce their counterparts from Banjika Secondary School to you. Some conducted brief interviews, while others worked with their buddies on short compositions. Although English is the language of instruction beginning in secondary school, students do not begin learning it until they reach the secondary level, at Form I (7th grade). Therefore, some buddies are more proficient than others.

Danny: Ebenezer


 What is your favorite sport?  Football.
What is your favorite music? Bongo Flava rock.
Do you have brothers and sisters? Yes; my brothers are Elifurha, Edwin and Innocent, and my sister is named Dicla.
What profession do you aspire to? Doctor or tour guide.
What is your favorite food? Ugali.
Who is your favorite actor? Jean-Claude Van Damme
What is your favorite subject in school? History.







Eugene: January



I am January Visenti Dohho. I am 17 years old. I am a Form III [9th grade] student. I like history, English, Kiswahili, and my favorite activity is watching movies. I also like to read different books. I also like to meet with new people like my friend from the U.S.A. and one day I want to visit the USA, if it can be even one day.











Jules: Saraphina



My name is Saraphina Enock and I come from Karatu. I like cooking and I love very much my mummy.


















Josh: Yona




What is your name? Yona Slaa
Do you have any siblings? I have three brothers and one sister.
What do you like doing? I enjoy playing soccer with my friends.
What kind of music do you like? I like Hip Hop and Bango Llava.
What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a doctor or an engineer.
What classes do you take in school? I am studying mathematics, physics, chemistry, English, history and Swahili. And I like working on the computer.




Jackson: Deo


Q: Jambo! What is your name?
A: Hello, my name is Deo.
Q: Where do you live?
A: I live in Kambiyanyoka, Karatu, Tanzania.
Q: How many siblings do you have?
A: I have five sisters and three brothers.
Q: What classes do you take?
A: I am studying biology, mathematics, physics, history and English.
Q: What do you want to do for a living?
A: I want to be a doctor.
Q: What do you like to do in your spare time?
A: I like to play football, and I love the piano as well.

Camille: Mwanaisha (R) and Upendo (L)


My name is Mwanaisha Yasini. I’m sixteen years old. I’m a Form II student at Banjika Secondary School. I would like to explain my hobby. First, I want to study hard and I want to help other people who do not have ideas like to go to school, and second I want to help my parents. My aim is to pass my exam. I would like to be a doctor and my favorite food is rice, pasta and chips, and my favorite subject is biology, chemistry and geography. I would like to say again welcome to Banjika Secondary School. Don’t forget to greet your family and your friends!

My name is Upendo Tiaga. I’m 16 years old. I like to study hard. I want to be a doctor. I prefer to read, and my best subject is biology, chemistry and geography. My favorite colors are blue and pink. My favorite food is rice. My favorite drink is mango. My favorite games are netball, football and volleyball. I would like to help orphans and street children. I would like to welcome you again to Tanzania and Banjika Secondary School.

Myles: Robert







Editor's note: Myles and Robert were having too much fun and didn't quite get to the interview. 














Meret: Sarah (L) & Neema (R)



Sarah Leonard:  I’m 15 years old and live in Karatu. My favorite animal is a lion. I like to play soccer. When I finish school I want to be a doctor. I have my friend, her name is Upendo. I have 1 brother and 5 sisters.

Neema Thomas: I’m 14 years old and live in Karatu. My favorite animal is a dog. I like to play net ball. When I grow up I want to be a teacher. I have a friend name Maria. I have 1 brother and 2 sisters.



Kathryn: Oliva





My name is Oliva and I am 15 years old. I am Form II at Banjika. I like to read and play football. My best subject is chemistry. In chemistry I learn about periodic classification. I live in Arusha region. I like to eat rice and beans, and I dislike to play netball. My best color is orange, and my best friend is Kathryn.