Monday, July 14, 2014

First Days at Banjika, by Jules and Kathryn


On Saturday, the group left our comfy beds at the West Kili Lodge, just outside of Moshi, and embarked on our journey to Karatu, where we will spend the next few days bonding with our Tanzanian buddies and joining them in the community project. The bus ride was long and hot, but we didn’t care as we sat with our noses pressed against the windows. As we drove through Arusha (a large city that slightly resembles a more narrow New York), we saw every kind of person you could imagine, and as soon as we left the city we were in rural Tanzania, passing mountains and Maasai (a commonly seen tribe here, often wearing bright red blankets and tons of beautiful beaded jewelry) towns. We stopped for lunch in the small town Mto Wa Mbu, where we were offered a delicious buffet lunch of beef stew, okra, and Tangawizi (a ginger soda, similar in taste to Jamaican Ginger Beer if you’ve had it) as chickens hopped around our feet.
When we finally made it to our destination, the Banjika School, our buddies were outside waiting for us with wide smiles and open arms. In Tanzania, when you hug someone you hug them twice, to your left first and then your right, and our buddies were hugging and hand holding right away. My buddy’s name is Saraphina,  she is 16, and she loves to sing and dance so we get along very well. While we were visiting the school, Camille, Katherine, and I got to visit a music class at the school where we tried to sing and dance to Swahili Gospel.  We’ve also heard Tanzanian pop music playing loudly in restaurants and passing cars. To me it sounds like reggae, only much happier.
 Camille and I have been talking about how beautiful the women and girls here are, and how they wear no make up and most have their heads shaved.  At home, if a woman were to do that, it would be almost the opposite of our beauty standard, and I believe the way women here aren’t constantly doing their hair or curling their eyelashes is very progressive. Most of the many conversations Camille and I have had have revolved around women’s roles and rights in Tanzania’s society. Things here obviously are much different than things in America, and it’s hard to listen to how things work around here and not put your two cents in. However, you have to keep in mind that there are ways to share your opinions without disrespecting the culture. I haven’t figured out how to yet, but I know there’s a way. And even if I don’t get my two cents in, the world is changing for the better, and I can really see it here. In New York, change is difficult to see because we aren’t as far from it as other places are. But here, you can see that people are inspired to improve their world and the lives of others in the way they talk about the future. There is such a strong sense of community here, and I think New Yorkers could really learn from it.
I am so blessed to be here and be a part of this learning experience. Thank you Dad and Papa and I miss you.

XOXO,
Jules


            Yesterday, July 13th, my tent mate (Camille) and I woke up bright and early to take warm showers before the other students woke up. We were both exuberant for the day to come, as we were visiting the community church’s service after breakfast. The majority of us are not all that religious; therefore church was a bit of a foreign concept by itself. We walked into a large wooden structure covered in tarps to keep rain and sun from coming in too much. All of us joined on the benched next to the locals, and silently listened to the unfamiliar sounds of Swahili. After the choir sang three songs, led by the beautiful voice of a beautiful woman, we were invited to the front of the room. We teenagers were concerned, as we were not prepared to talk in front a room filled with complete strangers who would not understand a word we spoke. As we introduced ourselves down the line, the first few people said “Jina laku nani  _______________” until the person after me said “Jina langu _______________” and  we realized we were saying “What is your name ______________” instead of “My name is ______________.”!!! I was pretty embarrassed to say the least, but realized that this warm community had already accepted us into their church and appreciated our effort to use their language.
After the amazing experience of visiting the community church, we all walked back to the Doffa Campsite, and awaited our delicious lunch there. The teachers split off to leave us for down time, and the group hung out as we always do. I love the time I spend with this group, as we all get along incredibly well, and I can honestly say that I have never laughed so much as I have during these past five days. We care for each other so much and we all want to have a great time during our first time in Africa. Everyone has had such a great sense of humor and appreciation so far, which makes the experience even grander.
After lunch, the group hopped on the bus to meet the buddies we had met the day before for a scavenger hunt in the local market. My buddy, Olivia, walked on with her exuberant presence, and smiling face. As we drove to the market, Olivia and I stared out the window, with my amazement of the beauty of this country. Olivia had told me of her love of singing, and when I thought I had heard her humming a tune familiar to my ears, we both started singing “If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.” We were paired up with Eugene and his buddy to find certain fruits and vegetables, along with a couple other items, and buy them with a phone we were given (this is by far one of the most different concepts I’ve heard of). Once we found the first item, Eugene’s buddy and Olivia could not get the phone to pay the vendor, until we only had 3 minutes left. Frustrated, we boarded the bus again, and sat there in silence, when Olivia asked, “Excuse me, Kathryn, are you happy?” I smiled and told her I was, and she said “me too.” Olivia is such a kind girl, with somewhat limited English, but I have had some great conversations with her over these past few days I’ve gotten to know her. There is something about her presence, which makes me feel like Tanzania is even more beautiful than it already is. She makes me want to know everything about everyone I see walking on the red dusty ground around Tanzania.
After we got back and ate dinner, we had the pleasure of watching the World Cup final match at a restaurant down the road. Let’s just say that the majority of us were greatly disappointed by the outcome.
I’m not looking forward to coming back to Manhattan in nine days, but I’m really trying not to think about that part of the trip. I’m enjoying Tanzania so incredibly much already, and I could not be happier to be here. My mind is blown by the beautiful country and faces. Family, don’t worry, I’m happily thinking about you… maybe not as much as I should though J,
-Kathryn